Sunday, November 1, 2015

Welcome to My Holiday Rant!


Just a few days before Halloween, I was out with one of my friends - we went into a store and you will never guess what I saw! Front and center, the Christmas display was out for the season. A small table in the back consisted of 30% off Halloween decorations. An even smaller display off to the side of the Christmas goodies there was the few Thanksgiving decorations that the store had. My point is, Christmas is a big deal for retail stores, but the stores are really jumping the gun this season.

The fact that Starbucks's "red cups" come out November 1st and that I'm getting emails from stores telling me all about their Christmas products, is absolutely insane. Believe me, I love Christmas, but I love the holiday when it's snowing and, you know, December. No amount of Christmas cheer retail stores are trying to spread to me today will make me overlook the fact that there are still fake spiderwebs and jack-o-laterns on my neighbor's front porch and that children have not even gotten half way thru their newly acquired candy.

However, maybe I'm overreacting. After all, it is the most wonderful time of the year! What do you guys think?

7 comments:

  1. I actually agree with your opinion that stores are advertising Christmas decorations and such, way too early. I'm still busy thinking about plans for Halloween and Thanksgiving, and stores are already jumping into the Christmas spirit. I just don't think it's really the appropriate time to start thinking about Christmas yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to totally agree with you Liza, holiday advertising comes far too soon. People don't even get a chance to breathe this time of year. I was watching the news the other day and they were warning that this year all the ads were coming out sooner and that stores would be selling out of popular Christmas gifts more quickly. I was also wondering have you considered the broader implications of this? With Christmas becoming such an exploited holiday it has seriously marginalized other religious holidays around the same time furthering what school systems have done by creating breaks around Christian holidays. I would love to hear your thoughts on this! (Love the first picture btw)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree as well. You are one heck of a writer holy smokes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree! Sometimes people are to invested in the future to take it one day at a time. Black Friday craze has spurred "Pre-Black Friday" sales. It's craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! Sometimes people are to invested in the future to take it one day at a time. Black Friday craze has spurred "Pre-Black Friday" sales. It's craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote such a great response the other day and it did not publish. So bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clearly don't know how this blog/Google stuff works. Previous post was from me - Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete